[TriLUG] your favorite lowish cost thin laptop

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:01:48 EST 2011

Jim <jjtuttle at trilug.org> writes:

> On 01/18/2011 01:40 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Joel J. Adamson
>> <adamsonj at email.unc.edu>  wrote:
>>> What the heck are you using your laptops for?
>> Virtual machines for testing, especially build/deployment testing. I
>> also tend to use VMs to sandbox some common activities (eg. banking)
>> for security reasons.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> I wouldn't even consider running a VM on the single core X100e I used
> for some time.  It runs Windows 7 and is dog slow.  Firefox is a
> stress to the system.  Haven't tried Linux on it since it wasn't mine.

Explanation for divergent experiences #1: I have no experiences with
virtual machines.

Explanation for divergent experiences #2: My machine ran Windows 7 for
about two seconds, and I agree, it was really damn slow ;) I can't
remember if the original poster asked about running Windows: thankfully
I know less and less about running Windows by the day, and thus I can't
comment on the X100e's performance running Windows.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
CB #3280, Coker Hall