[TriLUG] Mass mailing ideas

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Tue Jan 18 17:12:01 EST 2011

If the OP runs an email infrastructure, I'm going to assume he already understands the ramifications of sending passwords this way.

Export the spreadsheet as CSV to sheet.csv and run the below.  Put whatever text you want between the EOFs.

#!/bin/bash
IFS=','
cat sheet.csv | while read EMAIL NEWPASS; do
 mailx -s "New password" "$EMAIL" << EOF
Hi there, your new password is $NEWPASS
Please make a note of it.

Sincerely,