[TriLUG] controller causing read errors?

Jim jjtuttle at trilug.org
Tue Jan 25 10:38:33 EST 2011

These are internal SATA drives.  The case is a small form factor Dell
Optiplex 755.  Sensors tell me that the CPUs are running at 32 C and
hddtemp tells me that /dev/sda is running at 40 C.  There's only one
drive in this machine.  It's formatted for ext4.  The first two drives
to die in this machine were 400GB Hitachi Deskstar drives.  The current
drive is a Maxtor 250 GB. Not sure about firmwares.  The drive is not
part of a RAID.  I'm not passing any arguments.  They are not SSD.  The
read errors started appearing in December on the first drive.  When I
replaced that, the second drive started reporting errors in the first
week.  When I replaced that the third drive started reporting errors in
about a week.

I'll look for bulging capacitors.

Thanks for the help.