[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Feb 1 13:40:23 EST 2011

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Aaron Joyner wrote:

> I attempted to find any basis for your assertion that
> there is some initial reporting requirement, but I can
> find none.  Would you please cite your source?

I assume we're talking about 501(c)(3).

I don't have anywhere I can point you to. I just remember
looking it up when I was considering 501(c)(3)'ing NCSA. My
understanding was confirmed when there was a big celebration
at RAC on completing the training wheels stage and no longer
being required to file as much paperwork.

However I'm no expert and what I think is of no consequence
if it's wrong.

> It sounds like we need to:
> 1) have someone from the "Pro" side volunteer to do the necessary
> paperwork to setup the 501(c)(3)

It sounds like there's another possibility, which I didn't
know about - being a non-profit in NC without being a
501(c)(3).

Can anyone tell us what this gets us/doesn't get us compared
to a 501(c)(3)?

> 2) have that person document the ongoing requirements that would be
> imposed upon the SC
> 3) weigh the pros and cons with that information
> 4) put that to a vote at the meeting

> matt at noway2.thruhere.net, would you be interested in
> tackling (1) and (2) with the basics I laid out above, and
> writing up something marginally more formal (such as a
> wiki doc)?  I'm glad to help vet the plan myself, and will
> put out a feeler to see if I can find a pro bono tax
> professional for a final audit, if necessary.

I'm very glad to find there's people on the ml who regard
all of this as do-able and who can read legalese.

Joe