[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

U. Jason Gloege Jr. ujgloege at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 17:32:11 EST 2011

I don't have time for a long email, but I can toss in a little bit:

- Most of the initial decision to go 501(c)3 was to enable us to receive
donations, both monetary and in-kind.  I'm not sure if our present servers
fit this point, but the early one we ran was donated to us under this
umbrella.  So was a decent chunk o' change from various sponsors.
- If I remember correctly (I haven't chatted with Jeri about it recently,
and I can't bug her right now to verify), she filed for the
administrative dissolution of the nonprofit corporation upon the advice of
her lawyer because, as registered agent, there was a possibility for
backlash against her and some of her other interests, and TriLUG's books
were not in sufficient order to assure her that there was no worry there.
- I don't recall the precise timing of everything last summer, but I do know
that the dissolution was initiated AFTER several discussions with SC
members, past and present.  It was not without done without their knowledge.

Beyond that, I don't have a preference regarding how TriLUG is legally run,
as long as it is still run.

I'll answer what questions I can, if there are any.

Cheers,
Jason Gloege