[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Sat Feb 5 16:22:04 EST 2011

On 02/05/2011 04:01 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Justis Peters wrote:
>
>> This is probably a legitimate approach. There are thresholds below
>> which the IRS simply does not care. They might apply in our case.
>
> Do you want to prove it after the fact? We need to know ahead of time
> how to prepare for such a moment, to know what to track and what we
> don't need to track.
>
> The "probably" is the part we don't need. As I was saying to Brian,
> there will be a definite yes or no to this. The answer is not rational
> and we won't be able to figure it out. However the answer is known. We
> just have to ask someone who knows.
You and I are saying the same thing. If we choose to go the route of
"flying under the radar", I would want to know specifically where the
threshold is.

That said, I still think we should get our 501(c)(3) classification back
and continue operating as an incorporated non-profit.

Kind regards,
Justis