[TriLUG] my vote on corporate status

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Feb 11 10:02:37 EST 2011

  Alan,
  This is not the first time this has come up in discussion amongst the
Steering Committee. We've had this discussion "back in the day".  Even
though I haven't been able to participate as much as I used to, (face
it, most people don't remember the "RTI" days), I wanted to let you know
I'm glad to see you are agreeing with this position. I too am in favor
of keeping the 501(c)(3) status.

-Roy
Former Steering Committee "servant"

On 2/9/11 9:54 PM, Alan Porter wrote:
> I know that our discussion has had a lot of holes in it,
> and it probably leaves most people feeling like we're
> going nowhere... or maybe going in circles.
>
> However, it has been very good for me to see what the
> group wants.  It's hard to gauge the interest level of
> the group (for program topics *and* for organizational
> issues).  So this is precisely why we are having a vote
> this week -- the steering committee needs to know if
> anyone cares one way or the other.
>
> In fact, over the last week, the overall discussion has
> swayed my position.  I was once strongly in favor of
> operating as an informal club.  I wanted us to focus on
> the technology and fellowship without being distracted
> by the other stuff.  My primary concern was the limited
> nature of volunteer effort, and I did not want to burn
> out our volunteers with administrative tasks.
>
> But now, I can appreciate the benefits of our non-profit
> corporation and our 501(c)(3) tax-exemption status.  And
> I can see that it's probably worthwhile to (pay someone
> to) do the necessary paperwork to get everything back into
> compliance.  After that, the recurring stuff should be a
> breeze.
>
> My initial resistance was not from *doing* the actual
> paperwork, but from not knowing which paperwork was
> necessary and sufficient.
>
> Recently, I have been in contact with the NC Center for
> Nonprofits, and it looks like they have a lot of good
> resources for groups like ours.  One of the biggest issues
> that non-profits face is staying in compliance.  They handle
> that kind of stuff every day.
>
> So I am encouraged.  And I plan to vote for keeping our NC
> non-profit incorporation, reinstating our federal EIN and
> re-applying for 501(c)(3) status.
>
> Thanks for having this discussion with us.
>
> Alan Porter
> 2010-2011 SC chair
>

> .

Roy Vestal