[TriLUG] [off topic] firewall, VPN, UTM, and web filtering suggestions

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 09:23:09 EST 2011

We are looking to replace our opensource firewall/VPN and web filtering boxes
with something more commercially supported (I have changed roles in my company
and my boss wants me hands off and the rest of our IT department can not support
our existing infrastructure)  I currently have a few RFPs out for replacing my
gear, however neither has come back with a turnkey solution as of yet.
a few questions
1.  Can i get some recommendations of companies that do this kind of work, on a
large scale?  We have a fairly extensive network infrastructure so we need a
company that is used to complex design.
2.  The two companies that have gotten back to me, are suggesting Cisco and
Sonicwall.  I have no experience with Sonicwall, and my experience with Cisco
was during the PIX/CatOS days, so I am a little out of the loop, we are an HP
ProCurve shop.  Pros, Cons of either
3.  Any suggestions for web filtering?  We currently are using squid for
blocking our users from inappropriate and social networking sites.

Regards,
Chris