[TriLUG] AD and NIS vs rsync administration

Leslie(Pete) Boyd lhb at hpcc.epa.gov
Thu Feb 17 17:09:42 EST 2011

Hello trilug,

    I have been working on this issue for many years. Ran NIS
    on a SUN network at Duke in the '80s and have
    some(very little) exposure to AD in my current position.

    My current site has 110 servers and workstations of various
    flavors, Solaris, SGI, RedHat, and CentOS.

    All of these servers function independently of each other as
    system files are "pushed" or "pulled" using rsync commands
    which are monitored and launched by scripts controlled by
    cron jobs.

    The idea here is to update one ADMIN server and it distributes
    the necessary system files to other servers.

    These procedures have been developed over many years and
    are serving me quite well.

    I am considering a startup business and would like some
    assistance in "polishing" these procedures for that purpose.

    The basic idea is to "polish" the procedures and develop a
    website offering system administration to large sites.

    If anyone is interested in putting your skills to work on
    a project of this nature, please contact me off list.

    This could develop into something or not.

    If there is enough interest, we could met and discuss.

Leslie(Pete) Boyd
Contractor:               The rich man isn't the one who has the most,
Vision Technoligies       but the one who needs the least.
Senior Systems Engineer
US EPA  Rm. E460                --- IN GOD WE TRUST --
919/541-1438