[TriLUG] Semi-OT: vmware vmotion

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 12:53:45 EST 2011

Jason,

For vMotion to work, you need the correct license (Enterprise I think) to enable vMotion *and* a shared storage solution (NFS, shared iSCSI, or SAN).

If your two servers only have a locally attached datastore (on-board SATA/SAS drive), you will not be able to vMotion your VM.  The best you can do is suspend your VM then move the files to the other data store.

Thanks,

-Ron
rkelleyrtp at gmail.com