[TriLUG] OT: LAMP web hosting and development/coding services

David M. turnpike420 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:56:56 EST 2011

Hi gang.  I was curious to discover what the lastest *recommended* options
might be for hosted web and coding services?  We've been hosting and
coding our own website for many years (me) but I have been asked to check
options.  If I don't find something good, it will be handed over to a place
which I *know* does terrible coding.  Our site is http://www.cgirb.com and
is your basic LAMP setup.  I coded it using Dreamweaver so I took advantage
of its templating and library files for management.  The current site just
needs updates for the moment, we are not looking for a brand new build at
this time, but that's a future possibility.

Dreamweaver or not, any recommendations for good development groups?  I
believe the site is less than 80 pages, has a great search feature and a few
fillable forms with server side PHP validation on them.  We have the
resources to host, so hosting is the optional part, but they want to take
the coding off my plate.  I've got bigger fish to fry such as
NetApp/VMware/Cisco core architecture and major OS and application
migrations to accomplish this year.  We are hopefully opening a jr. admin
position in the very near future that could take this role from me, but no
guarantee.

The site is darn near perfect XHTML 1.0 Transitional right now (because I'm
awesome and pay attention to detail) with the W3C validator and I would hope
any hired coding service can deliver the same.  Also, I've coded the site to
need 1 and only 1 CSS meaning there is no need for different freaking CSS
for each freakin browser.  You aren't worth your salt as a coder if you
require such things in my personal opinion.  (I don't count the print.css
since that's just a show/hide div thing for printing.)  The only browser
detection on the site currently is in the Flash plugin on the home page.  I
originally could not convince the powers that be that we do not need Flash.
Shortly I expect this to change to just javascript rotating images and
the Flash removed, hopefully yay!

questions/comments/flames/recommendations??

thanks,
David McDowell