[TriLUG] question about backups

stan briggs stanbriggs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:54:40 EST 2011

all,
pardon me if i'm remembering incorrectly but wasn't there a TriLUG
presentation about using rsync for this purpose? or, perhaps, it was nc*sa.
regardless, attached is a borne shell script that i put together that does a
crude yet effective job of implementing what i think you are looking for.
stan
does the trilug mailing list allow attachments?

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com>wrote:

> Look at rsnapshot, it uses rsync and hard links to do incrementals
>
> Matt P.
>

> On Mar 4, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Charles Mangin <option8 at option8.com> wrote:
>
> > i'm looking at ways to do backups of large amounts of data that are
> currently spread across multiple drives.
> >
> > for a while i was doing a series of rsync tasks, pooling the various
> drives into images on a larger drive that could hold them all. the point has
> come now where that's impractical, since the individual drives have each
> been replaced by larger drives themselves. the last backup that i was able
> to fit on a single drive did so juuuust barely.
> >
> > what i'm hoping i can do is somehow just rsync any files that have
> changed since that last backup date onto a new drive, and use that method
> going forward. essentially, do an incremental backup from date X. is that
> possible with rsync or something similar?
> >

> > Charles Mangin
> > Option8, LLC - Making Macs happy since 1999.
> > option8 at option8.com | http://www.option8consulting.com
> > mobile: 919.368.7167
> > skype: option8llc
> >

> > --