[TriLUG] question about backups

Brian Weaver cmdrclueless at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:59:35 EST 2011

I would definitely recommend rsnapshot. I used it on a server at home. As part of the backup operation it dumps the currently running mysql database to a flat file in a specific directory. Those database backups are rotated and I ignore the "live" directories mysql is using. This way I get a consistent database backup that is saved as part of the system backup on a daily, weekly, monthly rotation on an external drive.

It effectively duplicates TimeMachine functionality with regards to backing up data.

-- Brian