[TriLUG] how to install Ubuntu over http in virt-manager

John Brier johnbrier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:05:24 EST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am having a situation where I can not use a CD or PxE boot or wubi to
> install.I need to necessarily do an http install of Ubuntu.I am basically
> trying to create a guest OS in a virtualization setup on Xen on a non VT
> hardware.On a non VT hardware the virt-manager does not allow to install
> from local ISO or PXE even the only option is via a URL on http://
>
> Here is what I did
> 1) Download ubuntu 10.04 32 bit ISO
> 2) Kept it in /var/www (apache2 is running)
> 3) renamed it to ubuntu.iso
>
> and when I reached a stage where installation begins I gave path
> http://localhost/ubuntu.iso but I got an error  any installable distribution
> not found.
>
> 4) After this I did
>
>    mkdir /var/www/sk
>
>    mount -t iso9660 /var/www/ubuntu.iso /var/www/sk -o loop

In the past I tried to setup my own local mirror to do Debian/Ubuntu
installs and while I know you can loop mount Red Hat CD/DVD ISOs and
use that as the installation tree I found that it wasn't that simple
with Debian. When I did the research it seemed like you had to setup
your own local mirror. You had to use a program to create the mirror
too:

http://www.howtoforge.com/local_debian_ubuntu_mirror

When you get to the stage of the installation where it asks you to
give the install URL, try a known working mirror (do an internet or
netinstall, basically). If that works it probably means your ISO loop
mount is not what it wants.

basicaly the ISO file system, after mounted is not the same as the
mirror of the file system you could use to do an internet install.

That said, from looking at this:

6.3.1.4. Looking for the Debian Installer ISO Image
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s03.html.en#di-setup

it kinda sounds like if you do an "hd-media" install you can use an
ISO to install.. not sure about that though.

JB