[TriLUG] OT: H.129, the continuing saga of reducing Internet choice

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:16:20 EST 2011

Hello, TriLUGgers. Here's your far-too-often update on H.129/S.87, the
cable-industry-sponsored bill to eliminate Internet competition in North
Carolina.

When Rep. Howard stated her "word is her bond" last week it seems her
bond isn't worth much. Negotiation between TWC and the cities has
continued to be a complete sham. By the time the cities received an
amended bill (called a PCS), it had already been through FOUR revisions
... all by the cable industry! It's clear who is calling the shots here
and it isn't the people.

We expect the bill to be heard in this upcoming week's Finance committee
meetings, though we're not sure it will be Tuesday or Thursday. Watch
your inboxes and (once it's announced) please attend the meeting if you can.

Now is the time to call your reps and express your displeasure! Some
legislative aides have suggested emailing instead, but PHONE CALLS ARE
MOST EFFECTIVE! If you don't know what to say, refer to the Broadband
Petition for pointers.

Finance Committee members: http://is.gd/ncgafinance
Broadband Petition: http://is.gd/ncbetterbroadband

Here's a GREAT video showing what's at stake:
http://is.gd/h129video

Yours at Gigabit Speeds (hopefully),

Mark