[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:26:00 EDT 2011

We in the Triangle are blessed with multiple options for Internet
service, but not all communities are as fortunate as we are.

But what if no one wants to "spend on the infrastructure" to provide it?
What if you're like many of our Pittsboro members who can't get
high-speed Internet where they live, simply because the commercial
providers can't make the business case? How are those people's kids
going to do their homework and complete their papers if they don't have
high-speed Internet available? There are hundreds of thousands of other
kids in that same boat: living in areas too rural to turn the heads of
the cable companies.

Cable companies have worked to legally define "high-speed Internet" as
768k down. Thus, their bar for allowing a community to provide their own
Internet service means that community must not be able to get at least
768k Internet.

Most of y'all would laugh hysterically at calling 768k "high speed."
Come on, you know you would.

Bits are getting cheaper every day. TWC reported it's bandwidth costs
have actually DECREASED at the time it also said its traffic has
increased. I'd venture to guess that good amount of their customer
traffic never even leaves their network, costing them nothing.

I appreciate your opposition to the bill, Chris, but please don't
believe the shell game that commercial providers are trying to play. One
thing about municipal providers is that they are forced to be honest and
open: something that's proved lacking with certain cable companies.

Cheers,
Mark