[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Tue Mar 15 14:35:50 EDT 2011

On 03/15/2011 02:19 PM, Chris Merrill wrote:

> Maybe, maybe not.  It's hard to tell where technology will take us next.  Let's
> not forget that a rather well-known technologist once said that nobody will
> need more than 640k of memory in a PC.  How long did that prediction last?

But the question here isn't whether we should have mandated municipal
broadband, but whether a community can decide for themselves that they
aren't being well served by ISPs and try and build their own publicly
backed system. Yes, it's risky and yes it could flop. But that's the
risk the municipality takes with it's future and it's voters. It's not
something the cable lobby should have a say in.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP