[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Tue Mar 15 14:58:28 EDT 2011

To add a little bit of irony to this discussion...

I was on the phone earlier today with TWC.  Don't get me wrong.  At home,
I have TWC business class Internet.  Overall, with few exceptions over the
last 8 years, I have been happy with the quality of their service,
including the customer service.  I have also been a DirecTV customer for
about 10-12 years and that is about to change.  TWC is offering me the
same level of TV service I am getting with DTV for $60 LESS per month.

I do think that the $109/mo for 7Mb-down and 768Kup is out of high.  I
would like to see competition: either a private or public company, I don't
care which.  I am opposed to this legislation.  I don't see how it
benefits the consumer at all.

Now the ironic part is that when I was on the phone with the TV Sales
department, at the end of the call he mentioned them offering their new
wi-max (or something similar) service that I presume to be their version
of the fiber network.  He said that it is currently available in
Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham will be next and Greensboro-High Point-Winston
Salem will be following that.  He indicated that when it becomes available
that I should be able to SAVE on my Internet bill.