[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:31:27 EDT 2011

On 03/15/2011 01:06 PM, David Hostetler wrote:
> There seems to be something missing in these discussions that should be
> addressed.
>
> If the government wanted to cripple a business and had infrastructure in
> place, what would stop them from offering say 100GB speed for $1 a month?

First from the "Internet as Infrastructure" perspective I hold:
What if the government wanted to give you roads you could drive on
without paying tolls?  Think of the profits a private company is missing
out on!

Second, "promotional pricing" is a tool that is heavily used by
communications companies.  Finding the cost you'll pay for a service
after the promotional period from their advertising is often quite
difficult.  If we wanted a rule to protect against this practice, it
should apply to private and public companies.

I do concede that there are some regulations that could be beneficial to
end users, just that this bill either does not have them or they are not
being fairly applied to all parties.