[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Tue Mar 15 16:18:14 EDT 2011

One of the things that helped many dirt-poor rural areas during the 1930's was
the TVA  and gummint run rural electrification project. It brought electricity
to rural areas that would still not have it if it were up to the bean counters
in the electric utilities. "No profit in it," they said, so the gummint forced
them to do it.

I think that this is really very similar and the TWC's of the world are fighting
it. Read the history of the Wilson project on their web site. TWC fights that
every chance they get yet still won't provide decent service of their own. They
were even invited to participate in the project but refused.

On 03/15/2011 02:48 PM, bak wrote:
> Your idea of supporting your argument is agreeing with me and asserting
> something surely must happen in the future? :)
>
> I mean my grandma gets her social security check every month, which
> means that she can have a place to live and buy food, but I'm one of the
> few people I know that can get U-verse, and the only reason I can afford
> it is because I'm well-off.
>
> In this day and age everyone who wants broadband Internet access and
> isn't just destitute should be able to get it. It lets people
> participate in 21st century society, get jobs and support themselves.
>
> AT&T and TWC, the corporations involved, don't want to compete; they
> want to promise as little as possible, take as much as possible, and
> capture every regulator their money can buy, and H.129 is supporting
> evidence.
>
> --bak
>
> On 3/15/11 2:39 PM, David Hostetler wrote:
>> No, you're absolutely correct.  Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, the
>> DMV, Highway systems, Police, Firefighters, Welfare..... All extremely
>> efficient.  I don't know how long the people of Wilson have been
>> enjoying their fibre network, but I'm guessing not long enough for the
>> government to screw it up.
>>
>> ----
>> Dave Hostetler
>> M: 919.333.0591
>> hostetler.david at gmail.com<mailto:hostetler.david at gmail.com>
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM, bak<bak at picklefactory.org
>> <mailto:bak at picklefactory.org>>  wrote:
>>
>>      Hyperbole much?
>>
>>      I guess you can say this, but people familiar with the broadband
>>      situation in Wilson are not going to believe you unless your argument
>>      deals with that as well, rather than just a totally unsupported
>>      assertion that a priori no government can ever do anything efficiently.
>>
>>      --bak
>>
>>      On 3/15/11 1:06 PM, David Hostetler wrote:
>>      >  Not to mention, that there is not a single thing in history
>>      >  you can find that the government does efficiently,
>>      --
>>      This message was sent to: Dave Hostetler<hostetler.david at gmail.com
>>      <mailto:hostetler.david at gmail.com>>
>>      TriLUG FAQ          :
>>      http://www.trilug.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both