[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

David Hostetler hostetler.david at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:21:58 EDT 2011

"Dave, these municipal projects are paid for through revenue bonds. The
returns to the bond investors come from the revenue the project generates,
not from taxes.
You won't be paying for Bob's Internet access. The people who use the system
pay for it."

If that is wholly 100% true, then my issue with it goes down a little, but
are we saying that the venture is profitable straight out of the gate?
Who's infrastructure are they using?  Who are they paying to create the
infrastructure?  What about customer support?  What about administration?
Are all of these things paid through bonds?  If so how long before a full
ROI?  What if not enough people buy bonds to support the required revenue?
These are all things that normal businesses have to address, but the scary
part about a government based 'company' is that there are always other pools
of money to pull from and it seems to be habit forming.

----
Dave Hostetler
M: 919.333.0591
hostetler.david at gmail.com