[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Mar 15 18:51:24 EDT 2011

David Hostetler said the following on 3/15/2011 4:31 PM:
> "Or, to take a counterexample, maybe Sweden or Norway, where the
> population is less dense than ours and they still have managed to get
> broadband penetration at a rate 30-50% higher than in the U.S. EUR90/mo
> in Sweden will get you 1Gbps. Let me know when their imminent collapse
> becomes even more imminent than it is now."
>
> Ha!  I didn't even have to look hard to find this.
>
> The crisis of the 1990s was by some viewed as the end of the much buzzed
> welfare model called "Svenska modellen", literally "The Swedish Model", as
> it proved that governmental spending at the levels previously experienced in
> Sweden was not long term
> sustainable.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Sweden#cite_note-12>

I call shenanigans.  The next paragraph after the above quote is:

However, the reforms enacted during the 1990s seem to have created a
model in which extensive welfare benefits can be maintained in a global
economy.[7]

[7] ^ a b Steinmo, Sven. 2001. "Bucking the Trend? The Welfare State and
Global Economy: The Swedish Case Up Close." University of Colorado, 18
December.

--[Lance]

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer