[TriLUG] mailman limits

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Mar 16 10:34:54 EDT 2011

Some of you may be noticing that your posts to the TriLUG
mailing list are sitting in a moderation queue.

We have set up very tight size constraints on email posts
to the list.  The size limit is 9kB.  If your email is
bigger than that, it'll sit in a moderation queue until
one of our highly-trained mail monkeys can press the [Meh]
button to clear up the log jam.

The reason for the size limitation is to enforce a habit
of trimming the extra junk from posts that you're replying
to, to avoid "me too" posts -- and above all -- to keep digest
subscribers from replying with the entire digest of yesterday's
news quoted at the bottom of their message.

The actual value of the size limit was determined empirically,
by slogging through years of TriLUG posts and seeing where
the dividing line fell between "good posts" and ones that
either quoted "too much" or that were sent in very verbose
HTML format.  All of that is very subjective.

In general, it works pretty well... but I am sure that it
frustrates some, especially those who may be in the heat of
a politico-email revolution.

Please bear with us... we're trying to keep the S/N ratio
relatively high... well, as high as can be expected with this
crowd... for our 700+ subscribers.

If you think the limits suck, please compose a polite email
to the mail monkeys at 'steering at trilug.org'.

If you think the concept of a size filter is cool, but 9kB
is just cramping your style, send a polite note saying so.
Again, the address is 'steering at trilug.org'.

Or if you think you can do a better job than those current
losers who are running things from that big shiny TriLUG.org
corporate office, nominate yourself for the 2011-2012 steering
committee at the April meeting.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a banana to eat...

Alan

.