[TriLUG] steering at trilug.org

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Mar 17 17:08:53 EDT 2011

Alan,

I took a quick look at it and I want to compare some settings against my
server when I get home tonight.  I had a lot of trouble getting the grey
listing (policy check) and RBL to both function, and getting Squirrel mail
to not break.  It turns out that it is really sensitive to the order in
which the checks are made and if you don't have them in the right order,
the services don't function, but you don't get any errors.

I also looked at a full header of one of the messages I sent to the
mailing list and received back.  There is limited indication of scanning
by Pilot.  One thing in the header was:

Received-SPF: None (no SPF record) identity=mailfrom; client
ip=96.10.215.214;
helo=mrhandy.noway2.net; envelope-from=matt at noway2.thruhere.net
receiver=trilug at trilug.org

This is suspicious to me because it claims that there is no SPF record.  I
know that I have SPF records and Domain keys (verified by mxtoolbox) and
that they validate against servers like Yahoo and Hotmail.  It looks like
the messages are being received and re-injected on localhost which
indicates the spamassassin SMTP queues in master.cf are working.

Have you grep'd the maillog for spamhaus and greylist recently to verify
that they are actively filtering?