[TriLUG] host IP address

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Mar 17 21:06:05 EDT 2011

Randy Barlow said the following on 3/17/2011 8:43 PM:
> On 03/17/11 20:35, Alan Porter wrote:
>> I bet it's my resolv.conf...
>>
>> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>> search ssz.tekelec.com tekelec.com nc.tekelec.com
>> nameserver 10.241.1.13
>> nameserver 10.241.1.11
>> nameserver 10.20.1.11
>
> I don't think dig uses your resolv.conf search settings. I think it just
> makes a query to your DNS for whatever you asked for.

dig does use the nameserver list by default, but it does not use the
search list by default:

      +[no]search
           Use [do not use] the search list defined by the searchlist or
           domain directive in resolv.conf (if any). The search list
           is not used by default.

$ dig +short +search dmzview A

should do the trick.

--[Lance]

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer