[TriLUG] call for speakers & topics

Jimmy Dorff jdorff at phy.duke.edu
Thu Mar 24 21:21:12 EDT 2011

On 03/24/2011 06:58 PM, John Broome wrote:
> Is there anyone that can present an Inexpensive fast Network Attached
> storage system ??
>

> Spare pc + [openfiler|freeNAS] = done
>
> What do we do for the other 110 minutes ?

Perhaps it depends on your definition of "fast". NFS slowness is my
albatross. Most of our work is IO bound now.. and a dozen or so fast
multi-core Linux workstations all pounding on a Linux NFS server doesn't
go well.

NFSv4 should be better, but in Fedora my users occasionally get lots of
"kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 61s!" for a process that's
"stuck" (aka uninterruptible sleep) in NFSv4 land.

Cheers,
Jimmy