[TriLUG] Feedback regarding Peak10

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Tue Mar 29 11:44:50 EDT 2011

I have used Peak10 both at a very large customer (their largest in RDU
for sure) and a very small customer. I am not currently a Peak10
customer but would consider using them again.

Like any business, they do some things well and some things not so well.
It turned out that at my current company, the small one, the things I
cared about most were things they weren't doing a very good job at, so I
took my business elsewhere (Celito).

My opinion of Peak10 based on experience as a Peak10 customer:
1. Infrastructure -they have really outstanding infrastructure
2. Technical Support - they have a few bright bulbs and a few dim ones
3. Management - inexplicably inept (and deceitful) middle management

staff manages to remain attractive in spite of some sketchy technical
decisions/personnel and terrible middle management.

Just one man's opinion

For some specific examples:
When Peak10 made mistakes and I lost power to my cabinets on two
occasions, I got a lot of spin and deceitful posturing. My new vendor
has not been flawless either, but the response has been one of
transparency which I appreciate.

When I wanted to use HSRP and private addressing between distribution
and my edge devices, Peak10 techs first claimed that wasn't possible.
After escalation to their Sr Network engineer I learned that they have a
number of questionable and suboptimal addressing, switching and routing
policies. By contrast, my new vendor understood instantly what I was
asking for, and why, and even suggested an improvement.