[TriLUG] Want to Participate in World IPv6 Day?

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Wed Mar 30 23:20:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, John Broome wrote:

> I asked my TWTC rep if they were ipv6 enabled and she wanted to
> schedule a meeting to "sit down and talk about what ipv6 means for our
> company".
>
> I don't want a sales spiel woman.  i want a really long ip address.

I like sales spiels.  Sell me on why?

For all the rending of clothes and cries of "OMG WE'RE OUT OF IPv4
SPACE!  THE SKY!  SHE IS FALLING!" that I hear every other month,
I can see no reason for going forward (right now).

Financial?  I still pay more for my first checked bag than I would
  for my first, second, third, and fourth IP.
Datacenter services (dns/dhcp/etc)?  4's is sunk costs.  6's will
  be new spend/learning.
Features?  Everything** I would do in 6 I can do (and more)
  in 4 with less infrastructure and thought.
  (ok, maybe not anycast.  OSPF is ick.)
Interoperability?  The larger world hasn't hit critical mass or offered
  a 'killer app' (let alone basics) on v6.
Geek cred?  Meh.  If it floats your boat, fine.  But I don't hear a lot
  of people taking the plunge and converting or running overlays
  out to their 6-to-4 tunnel at home.

Until something changes, I have all the incentive in the world to
sit tight on 4, let more devices develop support, and show up late
to the party after there's reasonable transition paths.

p.s. yes, those meddlin' ipv6 kids should get off my lawn.