[TriLUG] VPN and Proxy Services

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Thu Mar 31 11:50:25 EDT 2011

On Thursday 31 March 2011 11:31:34 matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:

> This brings up a tin-foil hat question that came up recently and I have
> been wondering about: anonymous internet access and email.  As I have TWC
> Bus Class with static IPs the IPs and domains, etc are even more traceable
> than the average dynamic residential account.  While this doesn't really
> bother me, I would rather have the choice of not having my connections
> easily traced back to my house.  I have looked at a few proxy services and
> looked at their terms of service.  Most of them pretty much all say, "we
> guarantee your anonymity unless .... we believe we need to provide this
> information to comply with ... insert agency or jurisdiction of choice, in
> which case we will give them total records of your doings.  Often times,
> these conditions don't even require a legal warrant or writ, but amount to
> a complaint.  In my mind, this defeats the purpose.  I have played around
> with TOR, but it is awfully slow, which is why I was looking at paid
> services.
>
> Are there any proxy or VPN services that do not keep records for both your
> and their benefit or are in an area that would simply thumb its nose at
> the USA?
You should check out Tor <https://www.torproject.org/>. It is designed for
providing anonymity. Read the website for information about he project and how
it works, but a key feature is that your traffic goes through multiple tor
nodes (each of which is operated independently), so even a rogue node that
logs data won't be able to tell both who you are and what content you are
trying to access.

Jack