[TriLUG] Time Warner Wideband/Docsis 3.0

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Thu Mar 31 14:48:07 EDT 2011

On 3/31/11 2:22 PM, matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:
> I don't know about everyone else, but I am becoming of the opinion that
> contracts are only required when the service isn't worth the price and
> they know it, but you won't until after you buy it.

This sort of explains every gym membership out there, doesn't it?

The place I go to charges a high price, but nothing to join and nothing
to leave, and IMO it's worth it.

ISPs and wireless carriers know they can't deliver anything worthwhile
on the scale at which they operate, so they overpromise, then leverage
their cartel privileges to penalize you when you figure out that they
were lying.

> Speaking of TWC, I have been hearing on NPR/WUNC the last few days
> that the legislation we were discussing a few weeks ago passed the
> house.

Oh no, not that flamewar again. Then again, U-verse is going to start
capping folks. They will also pretend that this is a "metered" pricing
scheme and not "having it both ways because you are a duopoly".

--bak