[TriLUG] OT: ATT UVerse internet access

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Mar 31 15:35:12 EDT 2011

On 3/31/2011 2:47 PM, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> <snip>
> me(matt at myficticiousdomain.org) from using your server to send my email.  When I send email as
> matt at myficticiousdomain.org through mail.webperformance.com, I am then relaying mail through your
> mail server.  This relaying of mail can happen for two primary reasons.  1. Your mail server
> could be an open relay allowing anyone to send unauthenticated mail through it.  2. I could have
> an account on your mail server say matt at webperformance and I c ould authenticate to
> mail.webperformance.com and send mail from my personal domain of matt at myficticiousdomain.org.
> <snip>
> Does that make it more clear?

That confirms that my understanding of "relaying" is correct.  But then I don't see how
the port 587 helps. The earlier comment was:

"SMTP-with-authentication-by-default; no relaying. The well-known port is
587. See RFC2476."

If there is no relaying, then I could not use that port to send e-mail to our customers.
Or am I mis-understanding the "no relaying" part...or taking it out of context?

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services