[TriLUG] OT: ATT UVerse internet access

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu Mar 31 15:38:55 EDT 2011

On Mar 31, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Chris Merrill wrote:

> On 3/31/2011 2:47 PM, Matt Pusateri wrote:
>> <snip>
>> me(matt at myficticiousdomain.org) from using your server to send my email.  When I send email as
>> matt at myficticiousdomain.org through mail.webperformance.com, I am then relaying mail through your
>> mail server.  This relaying of mail can happen for two primary reasons.  1. Your mail server
>> could be an open relay allowing anyone to send unauthenticated mail through it.  2. I could have
>> an account on your mail server say matt at webperformance and I c ould authenticate to
>> mail.webperformance.com and send mail from my personal domain of matt at myficticiousdomain.org.
>> <snip>
>> Does that make it more clear?
>
> That confirms that my understanding of "relaying" is correct.  But then I don't see how
> the port 587 helps. The earlier comment was:
>
> "SMTP-with-authentication-by-default; no relaying. The well-known port is
> 587. See RFC2476."
>
> If there is no relaying, then I could not use that port to send e-mail to our customers.
> Or am I mis-understanding the "no relaying" part...or taking it out of context?

So if they are blocking outbound port 25 to your mail server, they may not be filtering port 587.  I've never actually seen a home ISP block connections out to port 25.  I can see why some would.  I usually see them blocking inbound so you can't run your own mail server at the house or can't run it on a residential services to force you to upgrade to a business service package.

Matt P.