[TriLUG] GoDaddy CEO shoots elephant...

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Apr 2 19:19:05 EDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Joseph S. Tate wrote:

> The population of elephants in some parts of Africa is so large that
> even the WWF thinks that culling is a reasonable tool for managing
> population size[1].  Zimbabwe's population is huge, at 88000 in
> 2002[2] and 100,000 in 2009[3].  We should be happy that conservation
> efforts for elephants have been so successful.

There are two points of discussion here

o Was Bob Parson's killing taken after careful consideration
of all possible actions and to make the lives of the
Zimbabwean peasants better (his stated reason for killing
the elephant)?

I can do something about that. I can at least publically
deplore his actions.

o what to do about the increase in elephant population.
There's not much I can do here. However we should be
informed while others go about finding a solution.

 	o the elephant population is in dispute. The 100k
figure is from the govt wanting to be allowed to trade
ivory. The number is 60k by other groups.

http://www.africanconservation.org/forum/hunting-.....-conservation/9445-zimbabwe-hope-for-zim/cites-trade-agreement-dim.html

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/dinasaur2.11631.html

There hasn't been a cummulative elephant count for 7 yrs, so
possibly no-one knows.

Still there's no doubt that the elephant population in
Zimbabwe has increased enormously in the last 100yrs (Graham
Child former director Zimbabwe Nat Parks).

http://www.zimconservation.com/PDFs/Opinion1-Child.pdf

However the Zimbabwe contribution to the African elephant
population is small, there having been several M elephants
in Africa in 1900 but only 700k now. The population of
African Bush Elephant halved in the 1980s and without
conservation measures was expected to go extinct by 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Bush_Elephant#Predators

 	o Since 1960, the human population of Zimbabwe has
about doubled (estimate from graph at

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=sp_pop_grow&idim=country:ZWE&dl=en&hl=en&q=zimbabwe+population+growth
)

 	Why are the elephants the problem? The elephants
were there first, before humans put gardens in the middle of
their habitat. The elephants aren't killing people and are
showing great forbearance.

 	o None of the webpages look for an explanation for
the sudden elephant population increase. Presumably
something was keeping them in check and it's gone. What's
happened to the predators that used to keep the elephant
population down? Lions can take out a young, weak or old
elephant. The population of lions in Africa has halved since
1950.

http://www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife/lion.php

The Barbary Lion (N Africa) is extinct.

http://www.african-lion.org/res3.htm

Presumably the situation is similar for other predators.
Maybe all Zimbabwe needs to handle the elephant problem is
more lions, leopards, and hyenas

Joe