[TriLUG] TWC in RTP - 30/5 for $54.95/mo

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:58:22 EDT 2011

OK - just got this set up about 15 minutes ago.

Installer was a nice chap from Kablelink, and had an Ubee modem/wireless
combo unit.  I'm generally not a fan of the combined units, but I'll deal
with it for now.  I would have preferred to get my own docsis modem - maybe
I'll do that later anyway and update the MAC address with them.

I've put up speedtest before/after numbers at
http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=230a9dc1d0188c168b004d1cce58bedf&ria=0

The ones during the 12:00 hour were 'before'.  The couple at 1:08 were after
the new system was setup, but something wasn't working right.  There was
some other recabling the installer did - adding some new "moisture proof"
connectors (IIRC) then he had to call in to get things adjusted.  Twice.
 After the second call, we reset everything, and it is now giving the speeds
you see.

We had pretty fast downloads before, but always .4 meg up.  I mentioned this
to the installer whose first caution was "well, it says 'up to'".  Yeah, I
know, but it's fishy to me that we can go from 20m-30m *download* but
uploads were still stuck at .4m.  Again, after a couple calls, things seemed
to have been provisioned correctly, and I'm getting 4.5-5m up.

Speedtest is showing 'nationally' it's a "C" grade, and globally, it's a
"B-", so I'm really curious what other people are able to get re: down/up
from home.  That said, I'm happy so far (now in my first 30 minutes of using
it!)