[TriLUG] TWC in RTP - 30/5 for $54.95/mo

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:44:14 EDT 2011

On 04/13/2011 09:47 AM, John Turner wrote:
> Okay. Things are sorta working. I am getting 4.5Mbps up but stuck
> around 23Mbps down. Right now I have the cable modem in bridge mode
> and using an old WRT54G router. My thought is the WRT54g is capped
> around 23Mbps bandwidth, so my questions are
>
> (a) can I switch back to using the modem in NAT mode and still have
> support for port fowarding/etc that I have now on the WRT54g
>
> or
>
> (b) what newer routers support 30-50Mbps bandwidths?

Small net builder is the best place for this type of testing.
They rate the wrt54G wan/lan speed at 54Mb/s, so you're close to the
maximal limit on that router.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/74-wan-to-lan?task=archiveon

Their price/performance chart is good for selecting a new router if desired:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/price/74-wan-to-lan

Make sure you check the max simultaneous connections and wireless
performance on the site also if those are important to you.

The Netgear wndr3700 is a good choice at the moment and is very popular
in the openwrt community.  That is important to me to ensure future
support when the maker loses interest in their older hardware.

If you're fine sticking with the default firmware, the Asus RT-N56U is
currently king of the hill.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31436-asus-rt-n56u-black-diamond-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-n-router-reviewed
--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |