[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Jonathan Woodbury jpwoodbu at mybox.org
Sun Apr 17 17:05:23 EDT 2011

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reading that long post!  I think I understand what you're
saying about the value of NAT when you want to address lots of hosts
by name but don't want to have to update DNS for each host if you
change ISPs and/or tunnel brokers.  I could talk about ways to
mitigate that concern, but I don't think that's the important point
here.

To all your points I'd like to suggest that you, and everyone reading
this, shouldn't let practicality get in the way of digging into
something new.  You very likely don't actually need IPv6 today.  But a
great way to learn about it is to use it.  And if you find that you do
need it one day, maybe not at home, but professionally, you'll be far
better prepared with the experience you can get today.

It's important to remember that everything you have now with IPv4 you
will still have when dual stacking IPv4 with IPv6.  And if you setup
IPv6 at home and don't find a single thing you like about it over
IPv4, I'll buy you a drink!

Jonathan