[TriLUG] question about data security with vmdks

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:19:06 EDT 2011

I asked this on ServerFault as well, but wanted to get an additional
audience:

If I want to mitigate the risk of data recovery from a disk drive resold as
surplus equipment, how would the use of virtual disks assist?

For example, if I have half a dozen vmdks on a 1TB drive (for sake of
argument, presume they've been added to different VMs), and I decide to
decommission the drive, would simply erasing the vmdks and then selling /
repurposing the drive ensure that the underlying data had been well-erased -
even without extensive overwriting (for example, a quick format back to a
blank drive)?

-Warren

--
Warren Myers