[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Apr 18 04:07:27 EDT 2011

> If there's the IP equivalent of Local Number Portability, lemme know.

I work at Tekelec, a company that makes number equipment.  I usually end
up describing what we do as "DNS for phone numbers".

I think the answer to your question is "DNS".

The same is currently true for my IPv4 numbers that Linode dished out to
me.  If they go belly-up, or I choose another hosting provider, I get
new IPv4 addresses.  But my domains keep running because I use DNS.

If you're looking for private addresses, take a look at the "Unique
Local Address" space in fc00::/7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv6_addresses
These addresses are for exactly what you're looking for... private
addresses that are NAT'ed behind a router.

Alan