[TriLUG] Slightly-OT: Firewalls

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:35:37 EDT 2011

Grab an old PC and run pfSense (free!) - you will be more than satisfied.  I put together a ~$200 Atom D510 box (1G RAM, small HDD) with pfSense for my home router/firewall and it *just works*.  Everything is driven from a simple Web GUI, and you get the normal bag of firewall stuff (NAT, VPN, inside/outside rules, etc). --> http://www.pfsense.org

I have deployed numerous pfSense firewalls for data center use under 12/7 operation using pfSense with no failures.  Sure beats the heck out of spending $2,500 for a Cisco ASA 5510 box (and, I *was* a Cisco guy)...

Thanks,

-Ron