[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Jonathan Woodbury jpwoodbu at mybox.org
Mon Apr 18 17:29:20 EDT 2011

It's worth pointing out that with IPv6 having the convention of all
networks being /64 networks, if you needed to change to a different
IPv6 network, you would only have to update the network prefixes in
DNS.  Updating a zone should be a few simple search and replace
operations.  I've done this many times when I was on the 6to4 diet.
Search and replace worked every time.  It was still annoying enough to
get me to switch everything to HE tunnels though.  But that was
because my IPv4 address kept changing at home.

I personally think it's extremely unlikely that HE is going away or
dropping their tunnel service or will begin forcing people to change
their addressing.  HE is trying very hard to promote IPv6 and making
their IPv6 users angry wouldn't serve that purpose.

I wonder if the size of the IPv6 address space might result in it
becoming more commonplace for smaller companies to get their own
network blocks they can take with them to any carrier.