[TriLUG] problems IPv6 has helped solve

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Tue Apr 19 02:02:44 EDT 2011

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Jonathan Woodbury wrote:

> I can start off with a classic problem.  In my office we have a mail
> server with a private IPv4 address.  Our firewall NATs a static global
> IPv4 address to this private address and allows typical email traffic
> through.
>
> I could use a DNS solution for this problem.

Heh.  Exacty how I did mine.  DNS views to solve the same variety of
internal/external issues in 4-land:  nagios and IMAP on the iPhone,
web to be able to pick up .ics files in iCal, ability for the lappy
to rdiff-backup back to home while away, etc.

> But many of those solutions require that I maintain completely
> independent zones for private and public views.  What a pain,
> and so prone to negligence!

I'll not argue pain, since that's all subjective.  Mine's fairly
static after initial spinup, so, I can't judge how it'd be for
others' sites.  Add in that I did the remote/local publishing
a little inelegantly and want to redo it.  But, to the point of
negligence:

On my todo list is a nagios check I've not written due to laziness;
give it a zone name, 2 nameservers, and optional keys for the AXFR's,
let it tell you if resource records appear in one and not another.
Right now, it's too easy to cheat and just hand verify zone consistency
in my world, but, that'd definitely be desirable in a larger setup.

It'd really come down to how bulletproof you want to make it.