[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Aaron Schrab aaron at schrab.com
Wed Apr 20 12:25:15 EDT 2011

At 18:11 -0400 19 Apr 2011, Jonathan Woodbury <jpwoodbu at mybox.org> wrote:
>I've not tried to see if dnsmasq can work with DHCPv6.

As far as I've been able to tell, it can't.  It will answer DNS queries
submitted via IPv6, but that seems to be the limit of its support for
IPv6.

>But I scratch the itch you're describing with multicast DNS.  Ubuntu
>comes out of the box with mDNS enabled.  I believe Macs do too.  You
>can get it in Windows using Apple's Bonjour product which comes with
>iTunes.  At my house I can resolve the names of my hosts by appending
>".local" to their host name.  I've seen it working for v4 and v6.

There are several reasons I find that option unsatisfying.

First, I don't particularly want to install iTunes on my Windows hosts,
although that wouldn't be a show stopper.

Second, that's likely to leave at least some non-computer devices
unsupported.

Finally, the most important issue is that I'd like to be able to lookup
the names from outside the local network.  The main reason that I'm
interested in using IPv6 is so that I can access some services at home
the same whether I'm at home or elsewhere.  If name resolution only
works at home, that wouldn't be the case.