[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Aaron Schrab aaron at schrab.com
Wed Apr 20 15:41:37 EDT 2011

At 08:25 -1000 20 Apr 2011, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:
>> The main reason that I'm interested in using IPv6 is so
>> that I can access some services at home the same
>> whether I'm at home or elsewhere.
>
>There's a big difference between allowing YOURSELF to access
>stuff at home and allowing OTHERS to access it.

True, there's also a difference between allowing myself access for
myself, and allowing access for my computers.

>If you just want to get in yourself, then I recommend openvpn
>or "ssh -D home.example.com" (a SOCKS tunnel).

I'm currently using both of these methods for other things, but if I
just want to hit up a web server on my home network from a browser on
somebody elses computer, it's not a simple thing to get setup.  Although
IPv6 would probably be even more difficult in that situation right now,
hopefully that will change in the future.