[TriLUG] DHCP timeout with 10g hardware on rhel family

Jimmy Dorff jdorff at phy.duke.edu
Thu Apr 21 15:20:29 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 21:13 -0400, Carl Crider wrote:
> Driver, perhaps.
>
> Looks like a new one dropped on 4/11
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3umh6tv*

Thanks. I just tried that version and also a current mainline kernel
from elrepo (2.6.38-3.el5.elrepo) but I still see the same behavior.

I think this may be a switch issue as much as a device issue. This is
10G over cat6 (short runs), so it's fairly new hardware all around.

I did find a clean method to add a delay to allow the link to come up.
In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX add:

LINKDELAY=5

and the scripts give a 5 second sleep after bringing the device up. So
far this is working for me with the intel 82598EB.

Cheers,
Jimmy