[TriLUG] Good teaching distro?

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 26 08:37:22 EDT 2011

"Paul Bennett" <paul.w.bennett at gmail.com> writes:

> My wife has asked me to teach her Linux.

What does this mean?  People have asked me "Do you know Linux?" and I
don't know what to say.  I usually answer that I know more about using
Unix-like systems than I did twenty years ago, but I still don't know
everything.

> She knows one end of a mouse from the other, but is not too
> comfortable with the ol' command line stuff (yet).

Instead of a particular distro, I would recommend a good book on Unix
basics.  If what she wants to learn is how to use the command line (or
the "gist" of the command line) then I would recommend some of the older
books like Learning the Unix Operating System[1].  IIRC this book is not
too scarred by the Unix Wars like a lot of other books of the era.
After reading that, I'd recommend browsing Linux in a Nutshell[2], which
will give her a good idea of what all the various commands are.  I still
browse this book regularly.

Joel

Footnotes:
[1]  http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002619/