[TriLUG] Good teaching distro?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Tue Apr 26 08:54:30 EDT 2011

Hi Paul,
  I have a small section on http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net for newbies to
linux (always "in process"). I try to teach based on my experience of
being an MCP migrating to a Unix/Linux Administrator. I suggest that to
learn the cmd line, install cygwin on windows first to get comfy in the
command line. Or install a VM system like VirtualBox or QEMU Manager and
run a mainstream system like Fedora or Ubuntu.

Also, http://www.linux.org has linux courses for newbies. They are
pretty clear and straight forward.

HTH,
  Roy

On 4/26/11 5:00 AM, Paul Bennett wrote:
> My wife has asked me to teach her Linux. Famous last words, I'm sure,
> but I think this has the potential to go okay.
>
> She knows one end of a mouse from the other, but is not too
> comfortable with the ol' command line stuff (yet).
>
> She has experienced Ubuntu without screaming or crying (but not
> without frustration), but I'm wondering whether there might not be
> some more-useful distro out there for practical teaching purposes.
>
> Leading the "like Ubuntu only better" pack is probably Mint. Leading
> the "you can really get your fingers dirty if you want to" pack is
> Sabayon. Leading the "plausibly useful if she wants to take steps
> towards certification" pack might be CentOS. Other distros are
> flapping around my head, trying to roost, but I can't quite get my
> thoughts together enough.
>
> So...
>
> Please recommend a distro for me to teach her, assuming we want to
> start slow, but have plenty of opportunity to grow into the gory details.
>

> Thanks,

Roy Vestal
http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net

   .-.