[TriLUG] SC nominations

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Apr 26 15:38:54 EDT 2011

The May 12th meeting is coming up quickly, and May is
the month when the LUG elects its steering committee
for the next year.  It's all spelled out in the fine
print at http://trilug.org/articlesofincorporation .
Some restrictions apply [1].

But the gist of it goes like this: elect five members
in May, they decide later who gets what title/role,
and they serve for a year.  Over the past few years,
the lines between the different roles have been kept
intentionally blurry so we can all fill in for each
other, and that has worked out pretty well.

What does the steering committee do?  Mainly, we put
together the excellent monthly meetings that we all
love to attend.  But we also handle some housekeeping
chores, like running the mailing lists, mail/shell/web
server, and the administrative stuff.  A detailed list
is below [2].

Serving on the steering committee is a great way to
give back to the open source community... the LOCAL
community.

If you'd like to help out this year, or if you know
someone who you think would be good for the job,
nominate them on this mailing list.

We'll have a chance for folks to talk about themselves
and their vision for the LUG: (1) here on the main mailing
list and (2) at the beginning of the May 12th meeting.

Alan Porter

[1] NOTE - Only TriLUG members can vote or serve on the
steering committee.  If you filled out an application
form at the April meeting or before, you're covered.
If not, then you'll need to wait until next year.

[2] Duties include:
 - find speakers
 - plan meetings
 - order pizza; buy drinks, ice, cups, napkins
 - set up before meetings
 - battle with the A/V equipment
 - stand up in front of the crowd, MC the meetings
 - actually GIVE a presentation if we have no speaker
 - pass the donation bucket, count heads, record it all
 - tear down after meetings
 - find alternative venues when needed
 - publicize upcoming events
 - maintain twitter, linked in, facebook presence
 - find sponsors, follow up with them
 - keep the web site and wiki up and current
 - maintain membership database
 - make membership cards
 - add shell/email accounts
 - kick the servers when needed
 - upgrade software packages
 - stand by, ready to drive to Sungard if needed
 - document how the hardware is set up
 - rewire the equipment for better access
 - monitor mailman for spam, approve/deny messages
 - hold weekly IRC meetings to stay ahead of the game
 - document our internal process on a wiki
 - keep track of all expenses, email receipts
 - balance our books using gnucash
 - check the PO Box, renew the PO Box
 - open bank accounts (close them, open new ones)
 - manage recruiters - advise them to post to the list
 - remind people to play nice on the mailing list
 - file corporate paperwork with NCSOS and IRS
 - respond to requests from recruiters, post jobs

.