[TriLUG] PHP Compile Warning

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Sat Apr 30 12:29:37 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Vaibhav Mishra <anurodh78 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cristóbal ,
>
> I deeply appreciate your inputs. Let me discuss this with my user's
> community and return back here again.

I'm glad to help!

Yes; 5.3.6 is the current stable release: http://php.net/downloads.php

> 2. Does RHEL 5.6 support any version above 5.3.3?

RHEL 5.x proper does not support anything newer than that, no. The
engineering goals Red Hat set for themselves are much more focused on
stability and predictability than on keeping pace with upstream
features, bugfixes, etc. Be thankful that Red Hat QA does the work
that it does and doesn't toss in newer packages willy-nilly.

Having said that, there are 3rd-party repositories that help some user
communities meet various needs (such as newer versions of PHP). Two
excellent examples are EPEL (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL) and
iuscommunity. These have different goals, and mixing multiple
3rd-party repositories is a bad idea--especially if you don't know
exactly what you're doing.

I suggest you spend time getting acquainted with yum.conf(5) and
yum(8) before you add repositories. I especially recommend you put the
"exclude" and "includepkgs" directives to good use.

> I will read once more iuscommunity documents as how can I better benifit out
> of it.

Do! I think they will serve you well.

Cheers,
--