[TriLUG] Available machine?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue May 3 11:08:53 EDT 2011

Folks,

I am trying to prepare for our IPv6 workshop on the weekend, and thought that I would prepare myself a replacement OpenBSD firewall machine to experiment with that day, and then, probably, replace the existing machine with this.

However, the idea of buying a machine that is excessively overpowered for this task hurts my Scottish soul, so I thought that I would ask the group if there are any small, light-weight machines around for gift or purchase, suitable for this purpose?
It is supporting a BellSouth ( AT&T ) DSL modem on one side and a relatively small LAN ( couple of dozen IP addresses ) on the other side, so will need two or three Ethernet ports.  OpenBSD does not require a lot of resources, an Athlon with 512M would be more than enough, and I have small hard drives that have been "retired" that would do the job.  It is a text-only, command line, machine, so video is also not a concern.

I have looked at what our friends at Intrex offer on line, and it is far more than I think is necessary.

Any offers or suggestions?

Thank you,
Brian