[TriLUG] Mounting a clonezilla image

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:06:12 EDT 2011

Before upgrading from UbuntuStudio 10.10 to US 11.04 I mad a
Clonezilla image of my hard drive to an external USB drive formated to
XFS. I've checked with Clonezilla and the image is restorable.
However, after extracting the img file using partclone.restore and
trying to mount the img file to restore some files I get an error
"/dev/loop0: can't read superblock".

So, I tried taking an image just of the / partition and mounting it.
However, I get the same error message. Looking at dmesg | tail I see
the following:

[ 2877.894039] attempt to access beyond end of device
[ 2877.894044] loop0: rw=0, want=31262424, limit=28121856
[ 2877.894053] XFS: last sector read failed

Any idea what's happening? I'm running US 11.04 64bit. I couldn't find
a 64bit version of partclone so I'm using a 32bit ubuntu deb file. I
found a couple of hits on Google that individuals mentioned installing
32bit partclone with the --force-all option and it worked on 64bit
machine. Not sure if that is the issue or not, since the restore with
partclone finished without errors.

Any other way to extract and mount a Clonezilla image to restore some
files instead of restoring the image to a partition?

Thanks for your help.
Brian